Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Fossil fuels are common energy sources that make life much easier. Every day, Americans burn these fuels to power their automobiles, heat their homes, and cook their food. Unfortunately, burning these fuels in areas of poor ventilation may result in a buildup of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is the byproduct of many fossil fuels when they are burned. It is highly toxic to humans and, over time, may lead to death if an individual is constantly exposed to it.

Sometimes referred to as the silent killer, carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and non-irritating to the senses. Individuals who are being exposed to the gas often do not know it until it is too late; that is, individuals are unaware of the dangers they are facing until they develop symptoms of poisoning.

Symptoms of acute poisoning include:

Nausea

Malaise

Headache

Fatigue

Over time, when individuals experience more and more exposure to the gas, they may suffer:

Cardiovascular disease

Neurological disorder

Memory loss

Depression

Continued exposure may eventually lead to death.

Individuals may be able to safeguard themselves against poisoning. Since humans cannot detect its presence, many companies market carbon monoxide detectors that warn individuals of high levels of the gas in their homes.

Additionally, people should ensure that their homes are well ventilated before using space heaters and other objects that burn fossil fuels in enclosed spaces.

Unfortunately, many individuals are exposed to conditions that make them more prone to poisoning because of the negligence of others. These individuals may be entitled to financial compensation for their injuries.

If you or someone you love suffered injuries after being exposed to toxic levels of carbon monoxide, the Phoenix personal injury attorneys of Haralson, Miller, Pitt, Feldman & McAnally, P.L.C. can help you determine whether someone is to blame for you misfortune.