July 21, 2024


General Attorneys

Tax Attorney VS CPA

2 min read

Tax Attorney VS CPA

Like it or not, each of us really have to pay our taxes. But there is so much trouble understanding taxation even to a genius mind. Albert Einstein admitted, “The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.” On the other hand, you can hire an IRS Enrolled Agent, to represent in behalf of the taxpayer, before the Internal Revenue Service. Enrolled agents are like tax attorneys or certified public accountants (CPA). These agents are unrestricted as to which taxpayers they could represent, as to what type of tax matter they could handle and which IRS office they could put into practice.

But, which is which? Who is to be chosen? Tax Attorneys vs. CPA. Before choosing, you should yet consider the roles of each Tax professional.

Tax attorneys. An attorney observes the legal principle that protects the confidentiality of the information of their clients. The legal principle practiced is the so-called “Attorney Client Privilege”. This privilege highlights that the information between the personas involved cannot be given to third parties, even to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The line of information is exclusively between the tax attorney and the taxpayer only. Thus, only attorneys are exempted to be forced to provide essential information to other people or even to testify against their clients.

Certified Public Accountants. The role of an accountant differs from that of the tax attorney. They can provide essential advice concerning financial planning, and they help clients file or correct tax returns. Which helps avoid particular tax problems. However, they are not well versed with the law. In some case, like tax bankruptcy, they cannot provide legal advice or even help their clients have for themselves of any available options. During court proceedings only the attorney can handle the case in your behalf since he/she is qualified to properly analyze legal issues and advice clients of their rights.

But either way, CPA’s and Tax Attorney’s undergo two tracks of becoming an IRS Enrolled agent. According to regulations contained in the pamphlet of Treasury Department Circular 230 states: Regulations Governing the Practice of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants, Enrolled Agents, Enrolled Actuaries, and Appraisers Before the Internal Revenue Service. The two tracks are as follows:

Written examination- Demonstrating special competence in tax matters by taking a written examination.

IRS Experience- virtue of past service and technical experience with the IRS that qualifies you for enrollment Paying our taxes doesn’t make us happy. But not paying our taxes would even make us miserable. The choice is up to you!

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.